6 Tips To Help Manage and Identify Eczema in Babies and Children
From Childs Farm and the EAA
Infantile eczema, it’s more common than you think! It occurs in around 20% of children under two years of age and usually starts in the first six months of life. To keep things as easy as possible, we’re sharing answers to some common questions on how to help manage babies with eczema.
How do I know if my baby has eczema?
Babies from 6-12 months usually experience eczema on their elbows or knees; places that are easy to scratch or rub as they’re crawling. Eczema can be identified as rashes and dryness found in the creases of the elbows, behind the knees, across the ankles and may also involve the face, ears and neck.
Whilst this form of eczema can improve with age, Childs Farm and the EAA have tips below on how you can help manage your little one’s eczema.
6 eczema management tips for little ones
- Distraction is key, especially when you’re trying to control children scratching their skin. Try putting their moisturiser in front of them and encourage them to rub it on or have a competition – you cream their skin while they cream a toy and see who finishes first!
- Keep children’s fingernails short to prevent scratching and breaking the skin. If possible, have them wear cotton mitts or gloves at night.
- Give children lukewarm baths and showers. Kids who are prone to eczema may still be able to enjoy a bubble bath – the Childs Farm bubble bath is suitable for skin that may be prone to eczema.
- Apply moisturiser within three minutes after bathing to ‘lock in’ the moisture.
- Avoid perfumed products unless they have been specifically tested as suitable for use on eczema prone skin, such as the Childs Farm range.
- Avoid rapid changes of temperature and activities that raise a sweat.
One thing you shouldn’t have to worry about is the quality of your baby’s skin care, which is why Childs Farm are offering you a 30% discount so you can try their whole range of multi award-winning baby toiletries. Childs Farm products have been specially formulated to be kind to new-born baby skin, including skin that’s dry, sensitive or even skin that may be prone to eczema. Head to www.childsfarm.com.au and use code EAA2021 to receive 30% off the entire range! Childs Farm always recommend to test the product in a small area, in accordance with the directions for use – See the Childs Farm website for details on patch testing.
All Childs Farm products undergo both clinical safety tests and independent user trials to make the following claims:
- Dermatologist approved
- Paediatrician approved
- Suitable for newborns
- Suitable for sensitive skin and suitable for people who may be prone to eczema
- Kind, mild and suitable for all skin types
Click here to shop the range now at 30% off!
It is not the policy of the Eczema Association of Australasia Inc to recommend or endorse any product or treatment.
It is part of the role of the Association to provide information on a wide range of products and treatments to keep those involved with eczema as fully informed as possible as to all options available. For medical advice, consult your health professional.